Sunday, December 30, 2012

Leaving 2012

I guess I could write about all of the disappointments and milestones 2012 brought me. Instead I think I'll just say that I encountered many new learning experiences as a new mom. In the blink of an eye, a tiny 3 month old is now an active toddler. Wait a minute....did I say toddler? That can't be right! Julianna still has all of her adorable baby features, so I'll keep referring to her as a baby. Anyway here are insights 2012 left me with as I encountered many joys and heartaches with my precious little girl.






1) We spent last New Year's eve in the hospital, relieved to learn that our daughter didn't have cystic fibrosis, cancer or other scary conditions. Just a case of severe reflux that required a special feeding plan. My 48 hour labor and all natural birth that once seemed challenging no longer seemed so frightening.

2) Entering the world of mommy hood is like starting high-school all over again.People form cliques based on what they feel are important aspects of raising a child. The breastfeeding moms flock together, stay-at-home moms form support groups and of course you'll spot other mommy cliques at any playground. And just like being in high-school, you're likely to find other moms judging the mothers in other cliques. The reality is that we all survived childbirth and experienced that unforgettable moment of locking eyes on our baby for the 1st time. Those are the memories that should ultimately unite us, not divide us.

3) Everybody wants to tell you what to expect for each stage of your child's development, but the truth is anything is possible. One parent might claim that sleep deprivation involves waking up every few hours, while another parent claims they only had 1-2 hours of sleep in the past 24 hours. One two year old might be easy to reason with while another might hit, bite, scream and pinch all day long. You might even find those parents who raised their children well, only to learn that their children are now adults and making bad choices. Unless you spent one day in someone else's journey of parenthood, DON'T JUDGE!

4) Watching the news before going to bed is a terrible idea!If you see any news flashes about child abductions, forget falling asleep that night. Somehow I always double check to see that everything is locked twice before going to bed.

5) Have your diaper bag all stocked up and ready to go at all times. It makes getting out the front door an easier process.

6) My relationship changed not only with my parents but also with all mighty God. I have a greater level of respect for the sacrifices my parents made, and now realize that God gave his ultimate sacrifice. I don't have the ability to send my child to die for anyone, yet God sent his son to give us everlasting life. This is a concept I'll never fully grasp. God also demonstrated how faithful he is to meet my needs as a new mom. Somehow I found inner strength I never thought I had when waiting for Julianna's test results.Moving into a house is nothing short of one of God's gifts, and thankfully Julianna now has a backyard to play in.It also amazed me to see how quickly God answered my request for more stay-at-home mom friends to hang out with.

7)Freezer friendly meals are your new best friend. Nutritious meals in a pinch are also possible due to having batches of homemade soup mixes in your pantry for busy nights ahead. Not only are these cooking methods life savers during a busy holiday season, I'm thinking they'll come in handy for future days with newborn babies. And no, we're not expecting.

8) There is no one size fits all approach. One child may need quiet activities in the late evening to get ready for bed, whereas the next baby won't sleep until they get all of their energy out. The experts claim that the developmental milestones occur at the same time frames, and that certain methods work well with common transitions and phases, but the truth is each child is unique. God hand crafted each baby with special strengths and hand picked the parents best equipped for the job.

9) We made various attempts to take a getaway to the beach, visit the zoo, enroll Julianna in infant classes at the community center, ect. Instead we became victims of Murphey's law. Illnesses, booked rooms and other events made doing so impossible. In the end I learned it's ok if we're not constantly taking our infant everywhere to provide her with enriching experiences. Sometimes the best experiences simply involve being together. It's reading the same picture book 500 times, going for walks and looking at different things in the neighborhood, cuddling together at the end of a long day. Those are the moments that matter the most.

10) You'll compare yourself to other moms. It doesn't end in the newborn stage when you see that some moms have an easier time breastfeeding or getting their infant to learn the difference between night and day. Months down the road you'll meet moms with cleaner homes, thinner bodies and that seem to have it all together. In the end, comparison doesn't glorify God and only leads to insecure feelings.

11) Christmas will never be the same ever again. Years ago I got excited over a stereo or receiving a doll I saw on tv.Now it excites me to see my daughter opening up gifts and watching her eyes light up. This year I relived childhood memories by spending time playing with Julianna's new baby doll, puzzles and toy truck.

12) It is still possible to maintain a clean house with an active baby on the loose. I tackle one household task a day during nap time, such as deep cleaning both bathrooms. Quick clean ups are performed daily while Julianna eats healthy finger food in her high chair.

13) As moms we have different strengths and weaknesses. We also have distinct personality traits that set us apart. One person might find the newborn stage to be stressful while another finds the pre-teen years to be more challenging. It's all the more reason to encourage others. After all, we'll all agree that hearing the words momma for the first time, or having a baby sleeping on your chest are the greatest feelings you'll experience.

So here's my New Year's resolution, to make it a priority to encourage other mothers on a regular basis.We spend entirely too much time casting judgement on other mommies, instead of simply admitting that we all have the most rewarding yet challenging job of all. I think I'll start by sending a note of encouragement to a mom whose 2 year old son has cancer. After that...who knows! Maybe I'll take the time to remind a new sleep deprived mom to hang in there, she's doing a great job. I might send a note to someone whose teen is making the wrong choices, or I could simply provide a thoughtful word to a single mom that makes my job as a mom seem so easy.

Happy New Years!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! It's been one heck of a ride...in a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Job of mom ... is the best.

    Delighted to meet you. I hope you don't mind if I splash around to get to know you a bit more. This looks like a refreshing place to dip into some goodness.

    I'm also on the hunt for ideas to splatter some joy into our summer. I would love to hear your ideas. Come splash with us!

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/07/splatter-it-up.html

    Splashin,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete